When given any problem, then first question is
- Should I do this now?
- Or wait?
Why wait to do something?
- You’ll be getting more information
- Delay benefits you (e.g., you don’t want to answer too quickly, the recipient of your answer is not available until n months from now, etc.)
- You need time to manage your emotions
- The problem is an insight problem that you need to let your mind work on
Why do it now?
- You know what the answer will look like (e.g., an arithmetical problem)
- You are unlikely to get more information before the problem is due
- Your emotions are under control
- Delay harms you (e.g., your answer is a “wasting asset,” such as insider information in the stock market or an option)
- Is this an insight problem that you set to start your mind working on and forget about? (e.g., a proof)
- Or is this a problem with a definite answer that you either know or you don’t? (e.g., an arithmetical problem)